Follow Me...

       
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to subscribe!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Vintage Christmas Chalkboard


 
This is without a doubt my favorite time of year! It is the only Holiday I decorate for and love to create home made items every year. Today I would like to share with you a simple project that is perfect for your Holiday Home Décor.  Today's project is going to feature Blue Fern Studios' Vintage Christmas Collection 
 
 
Magical 12x12 papers
 
Wonderland 12x12 paper
 
I started with a 12x12 chalkboard that I picked up at a local box store.  I crackled it for a different project, and then simply erased the chalk saying to use for this project.  The crackle base is gold with white on top. This offered the perfect frame for my vintage Christmas project.  You can buy a chalkboard ready to use or make one by painting the glass inside a frame with chalkboard paint.  
 
 

 
I fussy cut the images from the two paper collections to use in the corners of my board.  To dress up the flat paper, I added a bit of white Puff Paint to the snow on the tree,  yellow Stickles for the ornaments and Glossy accents over the berries.   Then I clustered flowers, and miniature Christmas tree ornaments around the paper to give it depth and interest.  To help it all sparkle  I spritzed it was Lindy's Stamp Gang Glitz Spritz - Blazing Sun. 
 
 
Aren't these little Candy Miniature ornaments adorable?  And they add the perfect touch to the corners.



 
I just love how the flowers, ornaments and candies mimic the look of the paper. 
 
Coordinating Chipboard - Santa's Sleigh
 
When I saw this Chipboard piece I just had to have it.  I mean look at all the tiny fine details in the deer and sleigh. 
 
 

To add a golden element to the layout, I carefully heat embossed the chipboard with gold embossing powder.  Then made sure the antlers for the deer were safely mounted to the frame of the board so that they would not become damaged.  
 
 
 
 
Here is a quick video showing how this chalkboard came together.

 

Here are a few tips for creating your own chalkboard lettering.
 
  • For a new chalkboard - make sure you prime the board by rubbing chalk all over it, then erasing it.  You can use your heat gun to blow away dust residue but don't "wet" the board.
  • Use a pencil sharpener to keep a fine tip on your chalk
  • Practice Practice Practice -  It may help you visualize placement and spacing of the letter shapes if you practice first on a piece of paper.
  • Don't draw your letters too close together.
  • Thicken the lines on the down strokes to make them look better.
  • use a cotton swab to smooth away unwanted lines
 
I hope I have inspired you to create a chalkboard for your Holiday Home Décor.  If so, please make sure you come back and tell me about it, or #FollowingTonyaGibbs in your social media outlets so I can see your project.
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya
 
 
SUPPLIES
 
  • Blue Fern Studios - Vintage Christmas - Wonderland 12x12 paper
  • Blue Fern Studios - Vintage Christmas - Magical 12x12 paper
  • Blue Fern Studios - Coordinating Chipboard - Santa's Sleigh
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang - Glitz Spritz - Blazing Sun
  • 12x12 Chalkboard
  • Chalk
  • Foam Adhesive
  • Ranger Ink - Yellow Stickles
  • Ranger Ink - Glossy Accents
  • Ranger Ink - Embossing Powder Gold
  • Versa Ink
  • Miniature Ornaments - Candies, Toys and Ornaments
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Gel Medium
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® Essential Tools Accessory Kit
  • Miscellaneous Flowers
  • Tullip - White Puff Paint 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love seeing things you create using my tutorials or project shares. Please use the following handles/tags in social media to insure that I get to see your creations:

INSTAGRAM: #FollowingTonyaGibbs    |   TWITTER:  @gibbst    #FollowingTonyaGibbs   |      FACEBOOK:Tag  Tonya Gibbs   #FollowingTonyaGibbs

I Design for:

    http://www.yvonneblair.com

Guest Artist: Click icon to see post!

http://www.teresacollinsdesignteam.blogspot.com/2013/10/family-stories-layout-and-video-by.html#comment-form   http://canvascorp.com/2013/03/21/easter-treat-baskets/


Past Teams

http://www.die-namites.com/     marion