Follow Me...

       
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to subscribe!

Monday, July 20, 2015

Love Summer Art - Journal Page Kissing Fish


Welcome back for the last day of #LoveSummerArt.  What a fun weekend, with TONS of inspiration.  I have had so much fun getting to know so many new artists!   The event runs from July 17 - 20th.   But the content will forever be there on YouTube.  To access it all you have to do is type #LoveSummerArt  in your YouTube search bar. 




This is a super fun way for you to discover new artists on YouTube, and be inspired by their work. All genres of art are participating - Exciting Right!     

Today, I have a process video showing you how I created this amazing Ocean scene in my art journal.   



Here is a glimpse at the background before I added all the layers. 


To create this look I started by adding Gesso to the background.  Then with a baby wipe, I added a dark blue acrylic paint at the bottom, then filled in with the lighter blue.   The background was very blotchy, but that was the look I needed.   When you look through the turquoise colors of the ocean, the landscape of the ocean floor is always looks blotchy.    To give a bit of a green tone to the entire thing, I lightly spritzed it with Lindy's Stamp Gang Shabby Tuxline Teal, and Tiffany's Blue.  The shimmer in the sprays give the background sparkle like wet water, and the greens in the sprays offer the perfect underwater effect. 


For the background areas of my coral,  I used a dry sea sponge to pick up various colors of warm toned acrylic paint rotating the sponge to give different effects.  You can see the technique in the video tutorial. 


Look at my adorable "Doodle Fish".  Isn't he just divine?  I started by sketching a fish outline shape on a piece of  cardstock.  Then doodled some lines and dots until he looked like a fish.  I used Elmer's Paint Pens in Red, Blue, White, and black to create the doodles on the fish. 


For the coral,  I used black cardstock as my base.  This offers the depth  and shadows of my coral. Then using the same sponge techniques, I added various colors to give the scene interest. 

I also included the Die-namites Leafy Branch die to create a different texture in my coral.  I used my Pink Paislee Nantucket Stamp Set to stamp out the starfish and shells.  Then for added sparkle I scattered some Gold Mica Flakes around the bottom. 





 I  think this is one of my favorite pieces I've ever done.    This could easily be redone on a canvas.  Now that I know "how" to make it look right.   On a canvas I could add real shells and coral pieces too.   Stay tuned - that just might happen (LOL).

Thank you so much for hanging out with me this past weekend.  This venture was super fun!

Don't forget August 3 at 8:30 p.m. is our next Ustream class.   

Tonya

Supplies:
  • Daler Rowney Acrylic Paints - Scarlet, Deep Yellow, Medium Yellow, Violet, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Light Green
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang - Starburst Sprays - Shabby Tuxline Teal
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang - starburst Sprays - Tiffany's Blue
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang - Starburst Sprays - Cocklebells Coral
  • Lindy's Stamp Gang - Starburst Sprays - Glory Of The Seas Gold
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pens - Green Gold #268  (starfish stamp) 
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pens - Medium Flesh #131 (shell stamp)
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gesso
  • Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft® - Gel Medium
  • Elmer's - Opaque Paint Pens - White, Red, Black, and Blue
  • EK Success - Zig Writer - Pure Blue
  • Prima Marketing - Finnabair Art Ingredients - Mica Flakes - Gold Leaf
  • The Natural - Faux Artist Sea Sponge
  • Die-namites - Leafy Branch Die 
  • Pink Paislee -  Nantucket Stamp Set
  • Strathmore Mixed Media Journal
  • White Cardstock - 110lb
  • Black Cardstock - 80lb

1 comment:

I love seeing things you create using my tutorials or project shares. Please use the following handles/tags in social media to insure that I get to see your creations:

INSTAGRAM: #FollowingTonyaGibbs    |   TWITTER:  @gibbst    #FollowingTonyaGibbs   |      FACEBOOK:Tag  Tonya Gibbs   #FollowingTonyaGibbs

I Design for:

    http://www.yvonneblair.com

Guest Artist: Click icon to see post!

http://www.teresacollinsdesignteam.blogspot.com/2013/10/family-stories-layout-and-video-by.html#comment-form   http://canvascorp.com/2013/03/21/easter-treat-baskets/


Past Teams

http://www.die-namites.com/     marion