Follow Me...

       
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to subscribe!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Washi Cards

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you just can't think creatively no matter what you do?  This week has been that way for me.  I've been really sick and NOT motivated to do anything.  My studio is A MESS.  So instead of creating I decided to clean.  I was putting away some new Washi tapes and the inspiration hit me square in the face.  Make some cards and use washi tapes as your backgrounds.  Why not?  I own lots of tapes, they are so beautiful, colorful, cheery and fun. It makes me happy to collect them, so perhaps it will make me happy to use them.
 

 
So my mission was to make five cards using only washi tape, scraps, or ephemera pieces (as I have tons of these too).  I'm a total scrap collector - I buy ephemera packs even when I don't buy the entire collection, then I never use them!  Those days are over!
 
I pulled out my punches, Spellbinder's dies, MFT dies, scraps, tapes, and card stamps  and started trimming, sorting, and stamping.
 
 
 
My first card was inspired by a school days theme.  I have several nieces and nephews who are elementary aged children and I thought this collection of scraps would make a cute birthday card.  I used the ruler washi tape on this card as a border, and the dictionary tissue tape as tape on the notebook page. 
 

 
Keeping with the monochromatic theme, gave a degree of sophistication to this card. I cut the washi into arrows for a soft simple background. The hints of silver and pearls gave it life.  I just love this the simple elegance of this card.
 

 
I loved the look of the grey card so much, I decided to use it with teal and blue washi tape. This time I kept the edges of the tape torn to give a more masculine feel to the card.  I love how simple, yet whimsical this card is designed. 
 
 
 
 
A few of my nephews will be graduating to middle school this year, and I thought this card was a fun end of year graduation card.  The Tissue tape was used as a background here, and pieces of ephemera and wooden clocks border a metallic embossed tag.  I also embossed the card with  gears to give it a little texture.  
 
 
For my final card today.  I covered a piece of scrap paper with green and blue washi tapes and cut it into a giant banner.  I continued my banner theme, my sewing together scallop ovals that I cut in half and a MFT tiny banner die with some scraps of coordinating card stock.  I sprinkled the giant cupcake with Rock Candy Stickles and used it for my birthday focal point.  This card screams birthday party, and I love all the celebration layers.  
 
I encourage you to spend an afternoon thinking about your scrap pile and "overstock" and make some cards.  This is a great way to breathe new life into your scrap, and eliminate them from your room.  Most of the time, I lose my inspiration because my room becomes messy and over crowded.  Simply spend the day die cutting your scraps into small pieces and you will be amazed at how fast you find your inspiration again.
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love seeing things you create using my tutorials or project shares. Please use the following handles/tags in social media to insure that I get to see your creations:

INSTAGRAM: #FollowingTonyaGibbs    |   TWITTER:  @gibbst    #FollowingTonyaGibbs   |      FACEBOOK:Tag  Tonya Gibbs   #FollowingTonyaGibbs

I Design for:

    http://www.yvonneblair.com

Guest Artist: Click icon to see post!

http://www.teresacollinsdesignteam.blogspot.com/2013/10/family-stories-layout-and-video-by.html#comment-form   http://canvascorp.com/2013/03/21/easter-treat-baskets/


Past Teams

http://www.die-namites.com/     marion