Thank you to everyone who came to the live Ustream last night. We had a great time creating this masculine layout of my son and husband.
The layout was based on a sketch by Flaming Scraps Design Team Member Melissa Williams. We took the feminine layout and grunged it up for a masculine layout.
I used the Heidi Swapp No Limits line (which is themed more at travel) and used it for a sports themed layout. I love the unexpected, but I really love using things that are not as they were intended. The splatters of Tinsel colorshine remind me a lot of bokken lights, and I think they really add to the title of Friday Night Lights. The title seems a little lost on the layout because of the Shine from the flash - but it really does stand out in the original.
Another thing we explored was using the negatives from your die cuts and punches. We used the negative of an arrow strip and also the confetti stars were punched from a Martha Stewart border punch. These offer interesting embellishments to the layout with no added expense.
Glitter was added to the Gesso and Glue & Seal (You could use matt medium instead), to give the gesso a little sparkle and texture.
In this class I gave you 10 promps for making trendy layouts for scrapbooks, project life, and mini albums.
Here are the 10 promps:
- Grunge it up (tear, distress edges, uses stencils, gesso)
- Metal (Use staples, pins, paper clips)
- Use Negative spaces from dies and punches
- Use Glitter (Gasp I know I know you guys are in shock because I hate glitter), but we used it in the Gesso for texture! But glittered titles are very popular.
- Use Vellum or Transparent pieces
- Sew *I used Metallic Silver thread and love it!
- Use Sequins - this is a super popular trend right now.
- Drip shimmer sprays
- Stars - Stars are very popular right now especially for confetti.
- Metallic Embellishments - Gold and Silver are HOT right now especially for titles, and frames.
Heidi Swapp - No Limits (paper)
Heidi Swapp - Vintage Chic (paper)
Heidi Swapp - Color Magic Tags, Banners, and Chipboard
Heidi Swapp - Color Shine - Tinsel and Teal
Heidi Swapp - Fabric Banner
Tattered Angels - Glimmer Mist - Hula Hoop
Cosmo Cricket - Photo Frames
Silhouette Cameo - Dies & Titles
Liquitex Surface Prep Gesso
Prima - Donna Downey Stencil Dots
Tim Holtz - Tiny Attacher
Ranger - Archival Ink Red
Martha Stewart Star Border Punch.
For those who missed the live show - you can watch the recording on here.