After a weekend of torment created by Hurricane Matthew up and down the south eastern coast line, I thought I would spend some time reflecting on how grateful I am for the many blessings I have in my life. During my extra time off, I spent a little time in studio while the storm raged outside with my watercolors and a few of Yvonne's stamps. Today I would like to share with you a few cards I created during this time of reflection.
I reached for these two stamps sets that Yvonne Designs for Impression Obsession Stamps to create these cards:
I'm going to create two cards in today's share the first is using the "Count Your Blessings" from the Words of Art stamp set. This set has so many amazing sayings in it. Perfect for card makers!
In the video below, I share with you a technique for creating watercolor flowers using kitchen plastic wrap! You allow the paint to dry on the paper and then follow the text that is left behind with watercolor pencils to give more details to your flowers. It is so simple and perfect if you don't know how to draw flower shapes. You literally let the plastic wrap and wet paint do the work for you!
I struggled a bit more with this flower shape as the colors seemed to blend more in and I really wasn't feeling it when I added the colored pencils. In hindsight I probably should have left it alone when I removed the plastic wrap. I really liked the abstract of the dried paint. But oh well, this is creative play, and sometimes you just have to follow the journey that the art takes you. To fix my painted mess I reached for Yvonne's French Script stamp and the Heidi Swap Navy Blue ink (which is my new favorite over black!), and started stamping. After assembling the card I realized the only thing missing was flower centers on both cards and my flowers came to life!
The paper stacks that I used were found in Target's dollar bin, and I fell in love with the copper foiling. I decided to duplicate this with copper embossing for Yvonne's Stamps.
Here is the video showing my process.
I'm so grateful that my family survived this terrible storm. I know so many that sustained damage to their homes, and several communities are still without power. Some have lost their lives and I pray for their families to find peace. My heart is saddened for the country of Haiti and for the Residents along the coast of Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia many of these communities will never be the same. If you are inclined, and have the capacity to do so, I encourage you to give to the American Red Cross. I know there is a need for relief both at home and in Haiti where so much life has been lost.
Supplies Used in these two Cards:
- Impression Obsession - Yvonne Blair Designs - Words for Art Stamp
- Impression Obsession - Yvonne Blair Designs - French Script Stamp
- Canson Watercolor Paper 140lb
- Artist Loft - Watercolor
- Royal Langnickel - Brush Value pack #3 Round, #10 Flat
- Wheat Jute Twine
- My Mind's Eye On Trend Cardstock 6x6
- Halloween Cardstock 6x6 Target Dollar Bin 375772
- Fall Cardstock 6x6 Target Dollar Bin Kraft Copper Foil 375773
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft - Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pen Cadmium Yellow 107
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft - Stamper's Big Brush Artist Pen Scarlet Red 118
- Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft - Stamper's Big Brush artist Pen Caput Mortuum #169
- Zing Copper Embossing Poweder
- EK Success Powder Embossing Buddy
- Versa Ink Pad
- Marvy Embossing Heat Gun
- Heidi Swapp Navy Ink
- Ranger Multi Medium
- Scotch Double Sided Foam Tape
- Scotch ATG Adhesive
- Kraft Cardstock